Re: Welder

To: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@fn.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welder
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 18:35:03 -0400
At 04:31 PM 10/1/96 +0000, Martin Libhart wrote:

> Or, what's your experience with the small gas-less wire feed units
> (MIG-type)?
>
>The bottom line is:  I want to do most of the welding myself, I need
>the ability to do light gage material, and I don't want to spend over
>$250.

Martin,

  You get what you pay for.  I'm not an experienced welder, just a
hobbiest like you.  When I bought my welder, I purchased a Lincoln SP100
with the gas bottle, regulator, etc.  It cost me about $800.

There has been a lot of talk on the net here about welders.  The
biggest thing is the number of heat and wire feed speed settings
the rig has.  On mine, both are continually variable.

The otherthing to think about is the "gas-less" welding generates
more heat and a dirtier weld than welding with the gas.  I can't
really say much more for pro's and con's about the differences
in using gas or not.  I know I always have on my unit.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!