Re: Radiant Heat in shop floor

To: "Jack L. Poller" <poller@chromatic.com>
Subject: Re: Radiant Heat in shop floor
From: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:35:19 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Jack L. Poller wrote:

> Out here in the Sunny Bay Area of California, it gets 'mild' as opposed
> to your cold.  One of the premier house builders in the '50s, Eichler,
> built houses with Radiant Heat plumbed into the floor.

Then why did Mark Twain say, "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer
in San Francisco"?  :-)

> He used *cheap* cast iron (I believe) pipes buried into the concrete
> foundation floors of these houses.  Most of these pipes have rusted or
> broken due to twisting during E-Quakes, and most of the owners have
> had to shut off the heat and install normal forced-air heaters.

Here in Minnesota (where we have longer summer days than California...)
the earthquakes are considerably less severe.  We had one a year or two
back.  At least they told us on the news that we did.  Nobody I know
noticed it.  I expect CT is similarly unconcerned about earth tremors.

I believe the practice these days is to use plastic tubing for hot-water
heat in concrete slabs.  It won't rust, it is cheaper than copper (I
never would have considered using "black pipe" made of iron) and it has a
little stretch and give if the concrete should happen to crack.

One thing to think about:  If you envision penetrating the concrete in
the future for bolts, anchors or a shaft for a hoist, be sure to leave
some open space for this and keep accurate records of its location.   To
drill or saw through a heating tube could ruin your whole day.  You
would then have to carefully break up the area, repair the hose and
concrete it all back up again.  A time-consuming pain, to say the least.

Phil "wish I was building one" Ethier