Re: Wire brush wheels

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>,
Subject: Re: Wire brush wheels
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:07:29 -0400
>On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Brian Kelley wrote:
>
>> Peter Schauss writes:
>
>> > spots.  However, I noticed that the die grinder has a rated speed
>> > of 22,000 rpm while the wire brush wheel is rated at a maximum of
>> > 4000 rpm

<SNIP>

Then At 03:14 PM 8/28/96 -0400, W. R. Gibbons wrote:

>Please wear eye protection while wire brushing.  An apron isn't a bad
>idea, either.  At 12K rpm, bits of wire get thrown off like little
>arrows.

That is an understatement.  I've had the stuff go through 2 and 3
layers of cloths.  On several occasions it wasn't until taking a
shower that I noticed something hurt while lathering up.  On further
inspection it was a couple of pieces of wire form the brush.

Another tool I use with a wire brush is the 4" electric grinder.  They
also turn 10,000 rpms and work great.  But **be careful** with them.
They are NOT as forgiving as the air powered die grinders.  Both my
dad and my self have had them jump at us and just touch our hands.
Doesn't look bad a first, but boy does it turn you skin to hamburger.
Takes forever to heal and leaves a nice scar!  I got several for
keepers.  Moral to this story - when using one of these devices,
be sure to wear a pair of heavy leather work gloves.  The $5 a pair
is  better than the scars.

While we are on the subject.  I wear glasses and have been very slack
about eye protection.  Mainly because goggles just don't hack it over
the glasses.  While under the car about a year ago I got a bunch of
junk in my eye.  Nothing major, just rust and stuff falling.  Well couldn't
get it all out.  Ended up at the Doc. and was out of work for
a day (I need the vacation anyway).  So I finally got some religion.  I went
out and bought a face shield from Norther for about $12.  I
had purchased a cheaper one $5 from Harbor Freight.  DONT WAST YOUR
MONEY on this cheap one.

I know this sounds like common sense.  But I guess I've lead a very
charmed life.  No major injuries playing with the toys.  However,
in the last couple of years, I've had a couple of friends kill or
badly hurt.  I guess my age (48) is also starting show.  I've started
becomming much more aware of the safety issues.  From wearing the
face shield, to the gloves, even to the extent of wearing mickey
mouse ears for hearing protections.

One last item, loose all your sissor jacks.  Use a good floor jack
and several heavy duty jack stands.

Enjoy the hobbie and SAFETY FIRST.  The life you save might be yours.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

The one with the most toys, wins!