zzzzzzZZZZZAAAPPPPP!

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: zzzzzzZZZZZAAAPPPPP!
From: "Robert W. Drummond, (918) 748.8887" <Robert.Drummond@penta.ps.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:38:01 -0500 (CDT)
I have to agree with Ray.  True 220 volt devices run on two "hot" wires.  The
neutral, if present, carries no current (hence it can be omitted).  Of course,
there are exceptions...  :-)

My hot tub has a 220 volt heater, but the light and air injection pump run off
110 volts, so the neutral is required.  Black/Red gives 220 for the heater and
water pump, black/white supplies 110 for the light and air pump.  So, "hybrid"
devices that use both 110 *and* 220 volts require the four-wire circuit.

Since you see only two terminals (and ground) you must have a "pure" 220 volt
device -- or it's really for 110 and mis-labelled  :-0

Good luck, and if anything explodes or catches fire, I never sent this message.

Robert
"No one has ever died as a result of my electrical work."