Re: Lifting a car

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lifting a car
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 23:52:20 -0400
Hi!

>I'm looking for a good way (safe, practical and cheap) to lift my car.

I don't know if your car is small enough to do this, or if you have space to
store one, but I use my engine hoist for lifting one end of the car and
putting it on stands (usually jackstands-other times things solid enough to
hold a car)  Mostly it's not lifted more than 1 1/2-2 feet, but I did have to
lift my fiat X 1/9 around 3 1/2 feet off the ground to get the gas tank out.
(I didn't realize the gas tank needed greater than 3 feet to get it out).  I
have added extra bracing to my hoist, and replaced the ram with a heavier
one, but one of the better ones with the boom at it's minimum extension
probably can handle a smaller car (I did lift a 72 Olds Station wagon once,
but it did stress the legs-better to not lift more than about 2000lbs (around
3500-4000lb car)).

Also, make sure the supports for the car are SOLID!  I usually have 3 things,
including the hoint, supporting any car I go under.  (IE do NOT use just the
hoist to support the car)
I don't lift both ends of the car when I lift it this way.)

Hope you have other suggestions!  Scott M Ryan