Re: Air tools - Thanks!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air tools - Thanks!
From: GGORMAN@dsava.com (Gorman, George)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 10:33 EST
Gaetan:

I bought one of those "el cheapo" air tool sets at Price Club over a year ago.
Price for 1/2" impact wrench,  air hammer, die grinder, 3/8" ratchet, and
sander was about $100.  Everything is still running fine, and I use them almost
daily for my '61 TBird restoration.  Only real complaint is that the impact
wrench that came in the kit is a little wussy.  Bought an Ingersall-Rand 231
(BIG torque) to solve that problem, but at about $125 for just this one tool,
it wasn't cheap (but very necessary!!).  In my opinion, as long as you keep
your air tools well oiled (I have an in-line system), they should run quite a
while, regardless of price.

George Gorman

>>...I've found that the "el cheapo" tools, within their limitations, =
seem to hold up very well, ...

This what I think. At some time, I considered buying a "complete" set at =
Club Price for about 150$ canadian, but that seems to be too cheap to be =
true :)

>>I have some Campbell Hausfeld stuff, and it seems to work OK, but....

I was thinking about this brand because it's very cheap (impact wrench =
is 45$ canadian) and service is very easy to get where I live. Chicago =
Pneumatic cost a little more, but are available everywhere too.

>>... look around for some Ingersoll Rand ones...

I will, but I have never heard about those (but I'm NOT a pro mechanic, =
so...).