Re: Dyno in shop

To: kimknapp@vail.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dyno in shop
From: JRoss123@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 15:30:58 -0500

>Has anyone set up an engine dyno in their home shop. I would love
>to, but am worried about noise, amoung other things (like cost$).

I've been wondering the same thing.  when I was fresh out of high school one
of my youner freinds (still in school) introduced me to a friend of his from
auto shop.  Turned out this guys dad was Chet Herbert the inventor of the
roller camshaft and big name in drag racing history.  Anyway in Chets small
shop were two units about the 1/2 the size of a refrigerator with engines
bolted to them, he said they were portable dynos.  I've since seen similar
dynos at farm tractor shops.  They look like a hydraulic pump with a small
oil tank and some gagues.  I've been thinking it might be possible to rig up
a pump with a drive system and mesashure the preshure and calculate the tork.
It's then easy to calculate the Hp from tork and RPM. Does any one with
experience with fluid dynamics have any ideas on how you can develop a tork
to preshure formula for a hydraulic pump?

                                  John Ross
                                  '65 EP MGB "So how hard is it to measure 6
hp"?