rolls-bentley

Broken Part! '79 Silver Shadow II

To: "rolls-bentley@autox.team.net" <rolls-bentley@autox.team.net>
Subject: Broken Part! '79 Silver Shadow II
From: Rob C Swift <RobSwift@PetCentre.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 19:08:46 -0500
Hello All,

        My father seems to have broken something on his '79 Silver Shadow II.
 Here's the story:

 He was trying to back out of a steep driveway and heard a loud thunk.  Now
his car makes a terrible metallic "rubbing" sound when in reverse, or
decelerating.  Upon inspection I have found a part that has broken where it
mounts to the underside of the car, problem is I have no idea what it is or
what it does.  On the rear, driver's (right hand) side of the car there is
a long tapered "arm" that goes from the side of the differential to a
rubber mounting point under the car roughly around where the rear seat is.
 There does not seem to be a similar part on the other side of the car,
just exhaust work.  Well, this part has broken where it mounts to the front
area.

What is this part called, so I can check on a replacement part?  What does
it do? =)  I get the impression that it should be replaced, not
repaired.....but if anyone disagrees I would certainly like to hear their
 comments.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Swift
Manassas, Virginia