rolls-bentley

Re: Buying a Shadow

To: "Brian McMahon" <brian@mcmahons.freeserve.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Buying a Shadow
From: "Matt & Linda Rathney-Quinn" <matt@tfgtv.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 99 10:09:26 PDT
Brian,

Your Shadow sounds like a good buy at the price. I take it the previous
owner was a little put off by the electrical problems?Many folk are and
having had some training in electronic engineering I've picked up quite a
few 'exotic' machines at bargain prices due to a few loose wires..
I was quite interested to see your comments on the Hydraulics. I was under
the impression this had been deleted in '69 or '70 and can I assume
therefore yours is a late example of this system? Presumably since Francois
was looking at a Shadow II this would not be a concern, but is of general
interest

How extensive is this hydraulic height correction? Having owned several
large Citroens I'm familiar with their system. I assume the brakes are
driven from the hydraulic pump a' la Citroen? ...what other similarities
are there?

I have seen quite a few Shadows in the hands of the carriage trade with
their tails scraping the ground; Not due to the haulage of particularly
large brides but hydraulic problems one assumes ;-) I do know that when you
get to grips with it the Citroen system is merely akward rather to work on
rather than baffling. Even vehicles like the SM with it's centre pair of
hydraulically swivelled lamps (the turn with the steering) are mere
excersises in advanced plumbing.

Would you know of a site or a book where a body could 'read up' onthe more
detailed aspects of the Shadow? Most of what I've been able to get hold of
is very lightweight 'coffee table' stuff.

Regards,
Matt