rolls-bentley

Re: Shadow II

To: "Francois Davel" <fdavel@senninger.com>, rolls-bentley@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shadow II
From: "Matt & Linda Rathney-Quinn" <matt@tfgtv.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 99 19:04:49 PDT
Hello Francois,

I have to say that since I joined the list a week or two back yours is the
first message I've received. Indeed I had forgotten that I had subscribed
to the list!

Though I couldn't possibly afford it at the moment I too hope to own a
Shadow II at some time in the future and would be pleased to hear of other
people's experiences of and advice on these cars. Not the ultimate Rolls by
any means but certainly the one which captured my heart as a small boy...

 I know that they have wide appeal and can be found at a wide variety of
prices.

To the skilled and properly equipped practical DIY man they are (so I'm
told) possibly a more interesting proposition than many other offerings....
and there must be many well loved well cared for examples out there at
modest prices.

I had a friend, a plumber by trade who, some ten or so years ago, had
promised himself a new car on retiral. He had saved up 12K in cash ..enough
for a new 'grey box'. One day, working near Gaulds in Glasgow he spied a
rather lovely metallic blue Shadow....

Much to the horror of his wife and amusement of his friends and neighbours
8K changed hands  and this particular 'lady' found her way to a small
ex-council house garage in Glasgow! It cuts quite a dash and simply
dominates the street where it 'lives'...

My friend is a quite knowldgeable home mechanic and has had little trouble
with the Shadow which covers up to 3000 miles per year. A decade of
ownership and he sees it as a truly practical classic which is no more
trouble than an XJ6 to maintain..... Parts are expensive though and this is
by no means everyday transport...

On the other hand, like a Jaguar, the scope for abuse of these cars is
wide. At the lower end of the market a Shadow can be had today (complete
with an MOT ..the UK roadworthiness test certificate) from 5-8000 pounds.
There is a yellow (non standard by the looks of it) example on the
forecourt of a garage near me for 6995.... worth the money? Possibly not.

Many seem to fall into the hands of slimy 'Jack the Lad' types who cannot
really afford to run them and don't have the skills or interest to look
after them on a DIY basis.  I've seen a few serviced at 'dodgy' garages
where rusting Ford Cortinas are more the order of the day with obvious
disasterous results. I've seen several pass through the motor auctions in
Glasgow in various states of despair.....

Likewise I also see a lot of sorry examples in the hands of the 'carriage'
trade. ...'shonky' paintwork and troubled looking suspension being the more
obvious results of this sort of shameful neglect...

Overall then if you're not a keen, very  competent and very well equipped
DIY man then it's off to an reputable dealer both for purchase and
maintenance.

For a _good_ example this is possibly the only reasonable course of action.
Equipped of course with a suitable budget....  I understand that front
brakes and suspension can be a concern, requiring around 3K a side to
restore

Regards,

Matt Rathney-Quinn