rolls-bentley

Info needed re: using RR as a daily driver

To: <rolls-bentley@autox.team.net>
Subject: Info needed re: using RR as a daily driver
From: "Ken Ross" <Kdross@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:29:26 -0500
I have been contemplating whether or not to trade my BMW in on a Silver
Shadow (or Shadow II) RR for use as a daily driver.  Of course, maintenance
cost is a big concern of mine.  Several questions that I have are:

1. Is the Silver Shadow (II) capable of being a daily driver?  I live in NJ
so rust is an issue.
2. Realizing that I drive 9K miles a year (unfortunately, I live only 3
miles from my office which is quite hard on any car), what type of
maintenance am I looking at on a yearly basis?
3. Can I realistically purchase a clean and sound RR Silver Shadow (or II
model) for $20K with mileage under 60K?  By clean and sound I mean a car
with leather in excellent or VERY good condition, mechanically good, and a
car without any surprises. While I am not expecting a perfect 10/10 car, I
would like an 8/10 car.  Is this reasonable?
4. What's the average number of miles that a silver shadow engine will go
before needing an overhaul, and what does an overhaul run these days?
5. Is a silver shadow with high miles a white elephant that will be
impossible to sell?  How many miles can you put on a silver shadow before
mileage becomes a big issue?
6. Does anyone on the list have any experience buying a RR, driving it for
several years, selling it, and then repeating this process over again?

As you can see, I am trying to get a RR for a daily driver assuming that I
will not be eaten alive by maintenance and depreciation due to mileage.  I
am hoping that I can buy a different RR every 5-7 years while keeping my
selling price close to my purchase price since the Silver Shadow no longer
experiences depreciation.  Since my BMW seems to be rather maintenance
intensive (i.e. 3K a year in maintenance bills), I am somewhat use to higher
than average repair bills.  TIA.

Ken Ross
Kdross@msn.com