rolls-bentley

Opinions of "cost of ownership" of R-R cars ...

To: rolls-bentley@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Opinions of "cost of ownership" of R-R cars ...
From: Carl Follstad <farkle@winternet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:21:01 -0600 (CST)
Folks,

I just read a message on the declining availability of parts for Bentley
R-types.  Got me thinking and I am wondering if I could bend an ear
(fingers?) for an opinion or two.

I have been an avid fan of British motorcars since I was a kid.  Now I am
a slightly more grown-up kid and have a 1949 MG-TC and a 1951 Jaguar Mk
VII Saloon.  I really would like my next car to be a Rolls: a 77-80 Silver
Shadow II or Wraith II.

My question is this: I know how much the car costs to buy, but feel I
don't have a good understanding what it will cost to own.  If I buy a good
car from a reputable source, one with some records and attentive previous
owners what can I expect?  $150 headlight replacements?  $4000 brake jobs?
I've read a couple-hundred page book on just the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow
and Bentley T series and wonder about such things as the complicated
(read: failure-prone) hydralic (sp?) automatic ride-leveling system, an
ungodly electrical system and tons of gadgets just waiting to break after
18+ years of use.  What's the reliability of a well cared-for car?  After
nursing MGs and Jags back to health for a few years I'm a bit suspect of
British "engineering" and being haunted by the spirit of the late Mr Lucas
some dark night ...

Advice?  War stories?  Have you done it and would you do it again?

Thanks in advance,

Carl