[oletrucks] steer box leak

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] steer box leak
From: "Tom Cooper" <tntcoop@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:18:41 -0500
Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace the seal in a steering
box? It is the seal around the shaft going to the steering column. Here
is a picture of the steering box.
http://coopscorner.com/steeringbox/steerbox.jpg

Is there a way to check the box without it being connected to a working
p/s pump? The steering box came on a donar car that wasn't running, so I
am not sure the box is even any good. I took the box off the frame to
paint it and noticed it was leaking from around the shaft. I know I ask
a lot of questions, but any and all advice is appreciated. I am starting
to assemble parts of my truck now and still trying to avoid doing things
twice. Thanks again,
                Tom in SC
                55 2nd Series