[oletrucks] Numbers Game

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Numbers Game
From: "Doug Wathor" <DWPumps@Comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:20:45 -0700
I am restoring a 56 1/2 ton. I believe I have the original, or at least
correct, engine. But before I spend money to rebuild it, I'd like to make
sure.

The websites state that the casting number of 3837004 (Gm 7 underneath) is
for a 55-57, 235-261. The numbers after the serial number of 045756 I, are
F56X. Head casting is 3836848, GM28. Are these correct for a 56 1/2 ton pick
up? Is there a way to tell if it is a 235 or 261? Are there other numbers to
check before rebuilding this engine?

Lastly, I think I've read here before that the engine color is supposed to
be a gray color. But what paint is left on my valve cover and other areas
appears to be a dark blue. What color is correct?

Thank you.

Doug
56 1/2 ton