RE: [oletrucks] Re-upholstery kit questions

To: Kinderlehrer@comcast.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Re-upholstery kit questions
From: "Durwood B. Darbin" <dhckdkcsk@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 00:43:19 -0700
Bob,

I did the kit reupholstery thing on my Burb seats mainly because I wanted to
stay original and I couldn't (at the time) find the 'correct' material
(Spanish grain maroon or something like that) to recover my seats.  I was
not pleased with the fit of the kit covers and blamed the upholstery shop
but now I have found out that all seats are not the same and should be
custom recovered.  My seats had been previously recovered and over stuffed
so the kit covers were just a tad too small.

I would recommend that you buy the 'correct material' from a ole trucks
vendor (Jim Carter or [gag] Classic auto in OKC) and have the seats
recovered by a shop, if you want a good fit that is. The upholstery shop
should be able to tell you how many yards to buy.  Don't let the upholstery
shop find the 'correct material' because they will go by 'the name' and I
was shown 5 different versions of 'Spanish grain maroon' of which none were
'correct' except that they were maroon or grain in one way or another.

Durwood
51 Chevy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window
52 Burb
54 Jimmy 1/2 ton Deluxe 5 window