[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2713

To: "ole trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2713
From: "J Forbes" <jforbspam@fastmail.fm>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:32:52 -0600
> From: "Ryan Border" <Ryan_border@yahoo.Com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Torque Converters
>
> I'll take answering my own question for $200 Alex:
> http://WWW.bdub.net/tranny/DualPurposeTorqueConverters-PopularHotRodding-Tex
> T.pdf#search=%22GM%20stall%20speed%20dual%22
>
> Anybody got one of these?  If so, how well does it work?
>
> Ryan.
>

> Ryan, Carl Ham wrote about a lock-Up converter which is way different
> than
> what you are looking for.
> The sywstem you reference is a dual stall speed unit.   The two systems
> are
> very different.
> If you are running a THM 400 the dual speed set-up allows for a high
> stall
> speed off the line or at idle
> And is a great item for forgiving an overly aggressive cam choice. List
> member Jim Forbes had much
> ExperIencewith these, if he does not reply I will try to dig up his
> address.
> I have two of these transmissions in the garage.  The adaptor is
> available
> thru Summit auto for about
> $55.00 or so.  Or, as Jim will tell you, if you have the Chevy bolt
> pattern
> THM 400, the converter is easily
> Adaptable to it. Only modification is one plug and 1 hole drilled.  The
> one
> Trans I have is '66 Buick which,
> Despite the article, is not easily adaptable to a Chevy engine.

The switch pitch is a neat tranny, you can get different stall
converters for them, too.  The one I have now in my 55 chevy car is
1400/3000 stall, quite a difference when you flip the switch.  Stock
converters generally run 1500/2000 to 2000/2500.  The ST300 two speed
auto used in Buicks in the mid 60s used a smaller converter that will
fit in place of the bigger (and lower stall speed) switch pitch 400
unit.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Jim
--