[oletrucks] Tranny Troubles

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Tranny Troubles
From: "Ryan Border" <ryan_border@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:45:28 -0500
Hi guys,
  Well, the inevitable has happened.  My tired TH350 pretty much imploded;
no 3rd gear.  I knew this day was coming, just happened a bit sooner than I
hoped.  So, I need to replace it (it's not worth rebuilding, cracked
bell-housing etc.).   Truck is out of commission, so I need to make some
decisions soon.   I seek a little advice, and answers to a few questions.

1) What parts are needed to install a hydraulic clutch pedal into a 55 2nd
Chevy?  Where is the stock master cylinder located?  (was the stock clutch
even hydraulic)?   Anybody got these parts laying around?

2) In the perfect world, I'd put a 6speed manual (T56, ZF.. .which one?)
into it.  If I can make it work, I might go this direction.   However, I am
concerned about the shifter location on these units- would it be too far
back in a old truck cab?  Anybody look at this?

When I look at the picture of the transmission here:
http://keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/street_rod_6spd.asp
it looks like the T56 has 2 possible shifter locations?  Anybody know if
this is the case?  If so, what applications would use the forward location?

I'm also (a little) concerned as I've heard anecdotally that they may not be
great transmissions in a high-torque environment.  Though if they're tough
enough for a viper/vette, I think they'd be OK in my old truck-

3) Recommended clutch for a mildly built up 454? (let's guess ~450hp for
now)

4) Experience with a later model truck (5speed) manual transmissions?  Is
5th typically an overdrive?  Do they all shift like, well, a truck?  Are
there recommended ones to look for and/or avoid?

5) I see T5's out of S-10s an such for sale.  Durable?  What makes a "world
class" T5 different/better?

I'm not %100 committed to the manual route.  One option is to throw a dirt
cheap TH350 back into it and give me something to limp along with while I
figure out a more permanent solution.

6) Any experience with these guys?: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/
Any other highly recommended sources?  Places to avoid?

7) I get conflicting recommendations on the TH350 vs. TH400 debate.  Some
say the TH400 is definitely stronger.  Some say that at a given price point,
a TH350 can be built just as strong, and will have less friction and better
performance.  I will never tow or haul a heavy load in the truck- is there a
reason to go to the TH400?   I am biased towards the TH350 only because the
mounts, drive-shaft, etc., are already set up for it.  But, if I spend the
money to put a "good" auto into it, adjusting the chassis for a new trans
would not be a show stopper.

However, if I put a new trans into it (other than a TH350), then I think I
would be inclined to pick one with overdrive.  So...

8) What overdrive auto-transmissions would work in my environment (I have no
computer hookups)?  I think I remember a GM auto-trans with a torque
converter with selectable (like with a dash switch) stall speed... for
towing I think.   Am I hallucinating, or was there such a thing?

OK- that's enough for now;  sigh.

Thanks-
Ryan.