Re: [oletrucks] 59 panel

To: "Paul Derin" <PDerin@hpregional.org>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 59 panel
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:32:22 -0400
Not quiet as simple as just changing out the axle---many other things come
into play. Most who want to improve their handling use the late 60's early
70's front clip from camaro, firebird, trans am--this type of setup. This
involves whacking off the frame in front of the cab and welding the donor
clip onto the frame. I believe its Brothers who carries a video for
this--but its not for the inexperienced to weld something like this up.
When you do this--other things will have to be done also, i.e. new steering
setup, new master cylinder for the now front disc brakes, radiator
support.  There are after market drop in cross members that can be
purchased--2 grand or so and still more work needs to be done. I installed
a disc brake kit on my original setup and man what a difference it made,
--now what to do with the steering??  I've know some who have upgraded
using the power steering mods and disc brakes, but you're still left with a
truck feel from the original suspension. So they have moved forward to
installing IFS cross members to get it right. Changing the front end is
something you cannot do cheap---cheap and safe are two words that do no go
together...   --wayne