RE: [oletrucks] Fw: GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work] Really??

To: <dcvjrv@comcast.net>, "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Fw: GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work] Really??
From: "Thomas, Robert E." <RThomas@ButteCounty.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 09:39:58 -0700
All:  The meat of the suggestion is:
Here's the idea:

>For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two
>biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not

>selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
>If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
suit.

Let's look at who is making the $$ off the sale of gas . . .  I'm in
California

Gas companies:  9 cents a gallon

State of CA :  60 cents a gallon  (which is supposed to be in a trust
fund, but that has been raided more than dry by the politicians)

Federal Govt:  22 cents a gallon

How about  boycotting government?  It is clear that the real "price
gougers" are our politicians.

If you want prices to come down, how about telling the politicians to
repeal the regs prohibiting exploring our reserves in Colorado, off
California, off the Gulf Coast, and in ANWR?  How about letting the oil
companies build modern & efficient refineries without 20 years of
Environmental Regulation hassles?

In my lifetime, oil has gone from $4 a barrel to $70.  If you really
want prices to go down, the oil companies need a source of cheaper
crude, which we have, but, for political reasons, can't use.  Why should
we pay good American $$ to people who hate us & will use the profits to
destroy this nation?

Oil companies have a 9% profit margin.  Let's call it 10%.  If they
became non-profit companies overnight, tomorrow's $3.09/gallon regular
would be $2.70.  Woopie-do!

On the other hand, if we let them extract what they already own in the
continental US, the cost of extraction without excessive regulation
would be ~$25.  That would take gas prices down to the $1 range.  If we
cut the taxes in half, the price would be way below a dollar.

The issue is not the oil company.  It is the government.  Take it from
an attorney who knows.

RT