[oletrucks] Re: Lowering your '56 stepside.

To: burton1813@gmail.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Lowering your '56 stepside.
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:00:10 -0600
Ben:
Sorry I have taken so long to reply to your message below.  On the front,
I'd be very careful about removing too many leaves.  In doing so you change
the handling and braking dynamics of the vehicle.  Suggest you drive the
truck and take note of the steering, braking and handling BEFORE you make
any changes, then do the same asessment after.  I'm not trying to be
paranoid, but if you make the suspension unsafe, cause an accident, someone
investigates and finds you modified the suspension yourself you could be in
for big trouble!

Regarding the rear suspension, I just posted a reply to the mailing list
from another member with the same question.  Look for the reply, but from
what I've heard, moving the mounting from above the axle tube to below can
be done, but is usually accomplished with a switch to monoleaf rear springs.

I do have some pictures of the before/after front and rear suspension swaps
and will pull them out and send them to Wayne (list owner) to post on the
website.

My wheel and tire size are the same for front and rear.  8X15 inch rims and
P235/75X15 tires.

Good Luck with your project!  Think and work safe!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL