Re: [oletrucks] Rotor clearance

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rotor clearance
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 09:08:35 -0700
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:08:21 -0800
> From: "Spencer" <wits_end@worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Rotor clearance
>
>     Hello, All.
>
>     I have just about completed installing a Mustang II front suspension in my
> 1955 AD.  I'm using stock Mustang spindles and upper and lower control arms
> from the boneyard. I notice that when I install the modified Granada 11 inch
> rotors, I only have a few thousands of clearance between the inside of the
> rotor and the lower control arm.  I asked the dkit manufacturer and they said
> to grind away a litttle of the outer edge of the control arm.  No problem
> there since there is plenty of material, but I'm wondering how much clearance
> I should have.  A sixteenth of an inch?  An eighth?
>
>     All help is appreciated.

The important thing is to get enough clearance in *all*
positions the suspension will encounter in use.  So, you
need to check the clearance at full up and full down travel,
at full turns either way.  This is easier when the springs
are out of it!

There need only be several thousandths inch clearance.
1/16" would be plenty.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!