[oletrucks] trying to track down coolant leaking into the oil

To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [oletrucks] trying to track down coolant leaking into the oil
From: tim <omahamail@fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:01:04 -0800
A while ago, I discovered some coolant in the oil in my 54 pickup, when
I removed the oil pan to clean it out.  Photos are here:
http://timlloyd.org/photos/oilpancleanup
You can clearly see that there's coolant in the oil, especially in the
last couple of photos.  I've also mentioned this in my weblog here:
http://54peanut.blogspot.com/2003/09/drip-drip-drip-i-picked-up-my-new-oil.html

So I pulled the head, and found no problems with the three-year-old head
gasket (replaced by a reputable shop in Boulder), and no visible cracks
in the head.  Photos are here:  http://timlloyd.org/photos/engine-teardown

I just got a call from the machine shop, and they found no problems with
a pressure test and Magnaflux of the head.  So... the head gasket isn't
cracked, and the head isn't cracked.

But where is the coolant getting into the oil?  What should I look at
next?  Pop off the oil pan again and look around the bottom of the block?

Thanks in advance,

-tim