Re: [oletrucks] Ignition key

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Ignition key
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:58:11 -0700
> Here is a question for all of you electronic gurus on the list:  I have
>removed the steering
> column from a 1993 Buick LeSabre and plan on installing it in my 54 3100.  I
>will also install
> a 1985 TPI 305.  Can the 1985 ECM be programmed to take advantage of the
>"chip" in the key
> on the column for security?  Is this more trouble than it is worth?  I plan
>on using this as
> a daily driver and would like to be as secure as possible.

I'm not sure how the Buick system works, but I have some
experience with the 90-92 F body VATS setup.  The chip in
the key is just a resistor.  The value of the resistor
varies, so you have to have the correct resistance to
activate the system.  But it works in a strange way...the
resistor is used in an oscilator circuit in the VATS module,
which puts out a square wave with a frequency that depends
on the key used.  If the correct key is used, the signal is
at 30 Hertz, and the engine computer will accept this as a
"good" signal and keep the engine running. If the wrong key
is used, or no key is used, the signal will be "bad" and the
engine will stop after a few seconds (injectors shut off).

So...if the 85 ECM does not have the VATS feature, then no,
it won't work.  But you migth be able to use a newer speed
density computer (1227730) with the appropriate prom and
wiring (and VATS module) and make it work.  The folks who
reprogram ECM proms can disable the VATS input, so the car
will run with no VATS signal.  A cheap fix is to make your
own square wave generator using a few cheap electronics part
(NE555 timer) and make your own VATS module, which can use
no key or whatever key you want.

Survey:  who understood what I just said?

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org