Re: [oletrucks] 1950 Body Info/Genealogy/RPO

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1950 Body Info/Genealogy/RPO
From: CraggD@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:45:10 EDT
Ken,

Welcome to the list.  You can still get the spotlights made by Utility from
Kantor (www.kantor.com).  Since you asked about Genealogy, here is a bit of
history on my '49 GMC:

b49-71, original owner was an old welder used it as his work truck.  He
purchased the truck new in Los Angeles.  When he retired he sold it to his
friend a
fellow welder.

b72-80, Friend of Robertobs was a welder from LA, he used the truck for
his
work and when he was divorced he sold it to Roberto.

b81 b 1/98  Roberto Rodriguez,  LA. Roberto did the majority of the
restoration and upgrading of the truck during his 17 years of ownership.  He
used the
truck extensively, 3x trips to Mexico City and back, Arizona, he replaced the
Jimmy 228 engine (with a '56 Chevy 235), transmission and rear end out of a
hopped up b77 Malibu, he bought a '54 "dip" rear bumper , heater and radio,
reupholstered the interior, repainted it stock GMC Forrester green, rechromed
grill and bumpers.  Roberto use to call her bMi Chulab, my darling in
Spanish.
Had a back injury had to sell to Arnold.

 2/98- 1/00  Arnold Cruz,  LA,  Arnold drove the truck occasionally to work,
40 miles round trip, a couple of times a month and on weekends around town.
He put less than 2k on her during his ownership.  She was always garage kept.
Had hoped to restore her 100% with his teenage son and show her.
Unfortunately his son did not show interest and he had neither the time nor
money to
fulfill this dream.  Wife wanted to remodel bathroom because her mother was
moving
in he need to sell the truck to raise money for it.

2/00 b current Dave Cragg,  Bay Area, I purchase the truck on 2/17/02 in
Covina CA (LA).  The truck was in great shape.  As a "native" Californian it
has
no rust and all original body panels.  After checking fluids and brakes I
drove
the truck home to Palo Alto, CA 375 miles.  The truck performed flawlessly
burning no oil or overheating.  I have slowing worked on the truck.  Adding
power disk brakes to the front,  redid engine/ tranny mounts and oil pan and
differential seals, recored radiator.  I refinished the oak bed and bolt down
strips, striped and repainted running boards, wheel wells.  Added compass,
vintage
Kleenex dispenser, fire extinguisher, retractable seat belts, cleaned and
repainted frame (from underneath the truck!), restored Fram by-pass oil
filter,
purchased and restored stock dry air filter, added aluminum "GMC' step plates,
chrome hood strip. New vanity plates; b1949 GMCb.   I hope to pass the
truck
on to my son or daughter (now teenagers) when the are old enough to appreciate
it!  This is assuming I do not get divorced, hurt my back or have my
mother-in-law move in!!

Dave
'49 GMC  "Nellie"