Re: [oletrucks] More Radiator Issues

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] More Radiator Issues
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 08:29:01 -0700
> Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 10:31:07 -0500
> From: "Brian Krieger" <btk@mail.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] More Radiator Issues
>
> I can't seem to find anyone in the radiator business who
wants to repair a small leak in my 235's rad.  Everyone
wants to
recore it.  It doesn't need an expensive recore.  The rad works
fine and keeps the engine cool - I just need to fix one small
leak at the front.  Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it
myself.  Can anyone lead me to some instructions on soldering
or brazing (or whatever you do to an old radiator).

Brian--

I used to be able to get the old type radiators repaired,
but the guy who did it retired, and now no one in town will
touch them.  I'm afraid that repairing these old radiators
is a lost skill in many areas.  The problem is that when you
put the torch to it to solder up one leak, several more
leaks will spring up.  If you want to try it yourself and
see what happens, go ahead, but be prepared to spend $$$
buying either a new radiator or having yours recored when
your repair effort doesn't work.

If you haven't had the opportunity to watch a radiator
master at work, then you've missed something!  The proper
equipment includes a large tank with an air raiseable tray
in it, so the radiator can be dunked and lifted out to test
for leaks.  The area to be repaired must be fully cleaned
and fluxed, and if the heat spreads to an area that has any
contamination or bad solder joints, then the leak will move
along with the heat.

I'll offer my symapathy, but unfortunately I can't offer any
help.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org