[oletrucks] 302 in a 49 GMC Pickup

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 302 in a 49 GMC Pickup
From: "Jonathan Fudge" <jonfudge@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:22:06 -0600
I am putting a 302 GMC out of a '55 GMC 2.5 ton into my 49 GMC 3/4 ton pickup.
It originally had a 228 in it.  My original 4 speed out of the 228 does not
bolt up to the bell housing on the 302.  I could use the 5 speed that was on
the 302, but it is a "monster" and I would have to move my recently mounted
power master cylinder, and maybe cut the bottom out of my firewall......anyone
know of a vintage GMC tranny that isn't "huge" and will bolt up to the
bellhousing of my 302??  Any help greatly appreciated.

Jon
'49 GMC 3/4 ton in progress