RE: [oletrucks] suspension

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] suspension
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:54:34 -0600
Luke:
I recommend against removing anymore than 1-2 leafs (also depending upon
which ones you remove).  The original springs were designed to be used as a
set (usually 6), and you would dangerously weaken the suspension by taking
out too many or the wrong ones.  I experimented with removing several leafs
with my truck to lower the front end and my first attempt altered the
handling and steering in a way I wasn't happy with.

An alternative might be to purchase a set of monoleaf (single) springs that
are designed to replace the original springs.  I know there are several list
members who have done this and were satisfied with the results.  If this is
an acceptable alternative, post a request to the list for information and
I'm sure you'll get some suggestions and vendor names.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Pontiac, IL