RE: [oletrucks] front disc brakes

To: "wayne osborne" <wayne@chevytrucks.org>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] front disc brakes
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:33:43 -0600
I have front disks with no power booster.  I am very satisfied with them.
Bought the bracket kit from Heavy Chevy http://www.heavychevy.com.  It was
actually made by Buffalo Enterprises http://www.inliners.org/buffalo/  This kit
uses mid 70's Checy/GMC 4WD 1/2 ton front calipers and rotors.  Rotors mount
directly to TF hubs using longer (supplied in the kit) lug bolts.  Kit came
with 3/16" 6 lug spacers to move the wheels out slightly.  I run 15"x7" wheels
from mid 70's 4x4 with 235/70 tires and did not need these spaces.  Maybe they
are needed with stock wheels.

I installed a dual chamber non-power boost master cylinder, also from Heavy
Chevy.  Only thing I did not like about it was that they don't tell you where
the master cylinder came from.  It is a bear checking/filling the fluid
reservoir.  If I were doing it again I'd look into using a master cylinder with
remote reservoirs.

My truck has been my everyday driver for 14+ years.  The disk brakes have been
on for 4+ years.  They stop straight and with much better control than the
drums did.