RE: [oletrucks] power steering questions

To: "Tom C." <c_tom@bellsouth.net>, "Oletrucks"
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] power steering questions
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:55:06 -0400
Tom,
   Thats most likely where the water came from, if the pinion seal is bad
some may have worked its way in there, but condensation would be my best bet.
There is a seal on the pinion that should prevent that leak. Don't claim to
know it all on the rear ends but I think you can replace that seal without
taking it all apart if you're very very careful. Only funny part is the
crush sleeve, when you removed the pinion nut-that the nut on the
driveshaft end, apart you'll see a bearing that behind is is a crush
sleeve,this keeps both the pinion bearing at a predetermined load-called
preload. I'm not sure but maybe that seal is replaceable without taking so
much apart.  You'd have replace the nut in the exact place--no tighter no
more loose but i've been told it can be done.
If the preload is not correct, you'll cause premature failure in either
bearings. There are also shims that keep the wear pattern on the
ring/pinion gear teeth at a predetermined pattern and these shims must be
correct also. I personally take the rear ends i've dealt with to a drive
live shop to ensure they are good. I don't have the correct tools to do a
job like that nor the full knowledge...
   Never was able to remove all the play but got it pretty tight compared
to what it was. I planning on doing the research on the kit from GSPP
mentioned before and looking into that.  But that still leaves all the tie
rod ends and what not to be redone. Amazing how one modification requires
you to do 2 more to make it workable.   --wayne