Re: [oletrucks] Chassis Question

To: <Tezzme2@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Chassis Question
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:10:59 -0700
Hi Steve, I too am named Steve.  Welcome to this list.  I sure enjoy being
here.

You're asking a question that I've spent some time trying to answer.  I have
not liked many of the answers people have given me.  And a lot of people
think I'm headed the wrong way.

A common and somewhat sensible answer is that the frame your truck came with
is the best frame to use.  With aftermarket front and rear suspension
available its possible to update suspension and brakes spending perhaps as
little as a couple thousand, but more likely at least three-, and maybe
five-thousand.

If you like that approach, you might also like some of the aftermarket
frames that are available.  I've seen one at a car show for about
six-thousand, RB's sells one for almost eight-thousand.  They look great and
I'm sure for some guys they are the right answer.  http://rbsobsolete.com/

Another option is the frame from an S-10.  There is a little info on the US
Body web site http://usbody.com/ and a more complete discussion by a guy who
is doing it at http://www.commerce.usask.ca/staff/hipkin/burb/.  The S-10
frame seems to be a popular swap for many street rod applications.  Seems
not to be very expensive, but you do have to create mounts.

Some guys put the body on the frame of a later full size Chevy pickup.  I've
not seen any real good information on this process, and the one guy on this
list who has said he is doing it wasn't finished last I heard.  Its really
too wide, and therefore could require a lot of work.  Another option is
adapting the IFS from a '63 to '87 Chevy pickup.  Still a little wide, but
not as difficult because you don't have to create body mounts.  Cost wise is
probably similar to the S-10.

There are guys adapting the IFS and IRS from various generations of
Corvettes to their trucks too.  I've not investigated that approach.

Replacing the front suspension with a subframe is another option.  Lots of
guys have done it, but its not as popular as it used to be.  Both of these
options are well described on a number of web sites.  Look at
http://classicchrisengineering.freeservers.com/Alternatives.htm and
http://50chevy.freeservers.com/ for more info.  Cost depends a lot on how
much you can do yourself.

I've documented on my wide site what I think I'm going to do.  I'm working
on two trucks, and currently have two different plans.  You can check it out
at www.OldSub.com.  Take anything you read there with a grain of salt
because I might change my mind any day about how I'd doing this.

Good luck and I'd be interested in hearing about what you do.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com
'54 Chevrolet 3100
'55.1 GMC Suburban