Re: [oletrucks] Bottom of cab/ POR-15 & air grinder

To: wits_end@worldnet.att.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bottom of cab/ POR-15 & air grinder
From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:06:16 +0000
Harry
POR-15 doesn't store very well. once you open the can it has limited life.
you can extend this by putting a layer of plastic wrap over the can before
putting the lid on. A 4 oz. can covers 12 sq ft. they sell 6 packs of 4 oz
cans on their website. this way you don't have to waste a lot for small
jobs. it's not the most economical way to buy POR-15, but it minimizes
waste. A quart covers 50 sq ft, that would be the bottom of the cab & most
of the frame. If you are doing it in steps buy the six packs.
As for removing under coating, dirt & rust. One of the most versitile tools
for frame & body prep is a right angle head die grinder. This air tool
chucks up those 1/4 inch shank tools. I use the arbor & 2 inch sanding pad a
lot. It's perfect for removing rust scale, rust hard baked on grease/dirt
and paint. The pads are available in 24 & 36 grit for rust removal, 48 & 60
grit works good for polishing metal & welds, 80, 100 & 120 are good for
shaping fiberglass & body filler. Grits are available 24 thru 400 and you
can get scotch brite pads too. The head size allows you to get close in
corners & edges and the right angle design allows you the control. I bought
a Ingersol Rand for $70, no name tools probably $25. You get what you pay
for.
Kurt
58 3100