Re: [oletrucks] advice on rust treatments

To: Bobby D Keeland <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] advice on rust treatments
From: JOE GARCIA <joegarcia1@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:32:03 -0700
I was looking at what would be involved in adding the 5-window back
windows into a 3-window cab and came up with the following plan.

First prep the 3-widow cab by drilling out the spot welds around the
center window and door jabs to remove the inner panel from the back of
the cab.  Then do the same thing to the 5-window but cut say 1 1/2"
around the corner window opening on the outside and remove that panel.
Then I would make a template of the corner windows from the 5-window
and lay the template on the 3-window and trim out the metal so the 5-
window inner and outer skin at the corner windows could fit thru the
opening.  I would even make the opening a little small that way when I
line up the inner skin of the 5-window with the center window opening
of the 3-window, I could clap it in place and take my cut-off wheel and
trim the corner window metal on both panels to an almost exact
cut....makes the welding process a lot easier.  Then it's just a matter
of spot welding the center window of the 5-window to the 3-window, spot
welding the inner panel at the door jams and welding the outer skin of
the 5-window around the corner windows to the 3-window outer skin.
This step takes lots of patience and jump around the openings with spot
welds to reduce warpage.  The main warpage will be in the area between
the corner window and the center window because its a flat area.

Joe