Re: [oletrucks] Filling holes in stepside bedside

To: Mark Self <mark.self@verizon.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Filling holes in stepside bedside
From: "Jim (Deacon) and Karen Magill" <dnkmagill@wtxs.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:48:36 -0500
Mark  I welded up about 10 holes in my bedside usuing a wire welder(cheap
one) and did ok. I had to go real slow welding just a small amount and
letting it cool before starting again. Weld a little and move to another
hole and use an air hose to cool your weld. Make you a backing plate out of
brass and that lets you have something behind the hole to weld to. The weld
will not stick to the brass so it helps you to fill the hole. Be careful
grinding off your welds because you can build up too much heat and warp
metal with a grinder too. Use as fine a grit on your grinder as you can
live with. Its slower but less chance of warping. Practice on metal of like
quality until you feel comfortable with your skill.     Deacon