Re: [oletrucks] Quick steering column question

To: ryan_border@hp.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Quick steering column question
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 21:47:49 -0500
Ryan:

Sorry to tell you this, but after looking at your picture (and the other
reply's from list members), you will not only have to take out the column
and box in one piece, but it looks like you'll have to remove the drivers
side exhaust headers as well.

Just 2 weeks ago I removed my stock steering gear to upgrade to power
steering.  I too, thought you could separate the column and box, but after
about an hour of huffing, puffing, and cussing, I realized it was one piece.
  After removing the pitman arm (outside the frame rail) and removing the 3
bolts holding the box to the frame, I discovered I had to drop the exhaust
pipe from the manifold (I have a 283 V-8 with stock exhaust manifolds)
because the box and pitman arm shaft must go inside the frame first before
it can be pulled out.  I had to do this before I could wrangle the box and
column out between the engine and frame (did I mention I already had the
drivers side outer and inner fender well removed?).

Good luck, don't get discouraged, keep in mind it'll be much nicer when your
finished.  If I can help with any other advice about my removal, let me
know.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL