[oletrucks] Rolling Chassis anyone?

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rolling Chassis anyone?
From: "BORDER,RYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <ryan_border@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:42:31 -0700
A couple of years ago, it occurred to me that the best way to rebuild a
chassis for one of these trucks might be to start with a new (old) one.  The
idea was to get a 2nd frame, and rebuild around it; taking my time to slowly
plan & work with it... all the while still being able to drive my truck on
it's existing chassis.  Easy to get at the suspension, easy to get at the
brakes, easy to work on motor mounts, no down-time with the truck if I
unexpectedly find myself short a part.  No hurry to do it all at once.

Anyway, with this idea in mind, I trolled the list; wondering how I could
get my hands on a new frame, and how much it would cost.  Long time (but no
longer present) list member Terry Glines chimed in, mentioning that he had a
pro-street frame he'd been working on; the wheels were set in motion, and to
make a long story short: I'm about to move my cab and engine onto the
completed chassis built around the frame I eventually bought from him  ;-).

So, I will very soon (within a week or two) have a complete rolling chassis
that I will no longer have a use for. I am wondering if anybody out there
wants to follow in my footsteps, and use it as a "core", around which to
build their own project.  It includes:

Frame: Stock '55 (2nd) Chevy truck frame.  The only modification I see is
the (rather unfortunate) motor mount for a small-block Chevy.  Personally,
I'd cut this mount out and re-do it right.

Front suspension: stock leaf springs / beam axle with kingpins.  I put new
shackles in it (all 4 corners which helped), but it pretty much needs a
complete rebuild.  I believe the drums are old Chevy car; 5on4.75"; stock
ball-bearing setup.

Rear axle: Chevy 12-bolt I think with 3.56 gears.  Drum brakes.  No idea
what it's out of, installed by previous owner, but it makes the truck
drivable on the highway.  All mods required (basically spring perches and
shock mounts) to fit the axle into the truck done; I've been driving on it
for several years.  With my 8" wide vette rims and 235 width tires, things
are a little too wide- stock step side fenders will rub with a heavy load.
With narrower (closer to stock) rims I think things would be fine.

Master cylinder and functional brake system included.

2 cheap steel wheels and 2 reasonable tires included.

If nobody wants it, I'll probably just scrap it.  I'm basically willing to
give it away to a good home; though I suppose I'd like to get whatever the
scrap yard would give me for it ($50?).   It would take a lot of convincing
to get me to put the effort into parting it out.

The catch: you've got to come get it (Northern Colorado), and come get it
pretty soon.  If you're interested, drop me an email.

Ryan.