Re: [oletrucks] Wiring questions

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wiring questions
From: Leon Corley <lcorley@ticnet.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 21:41:12 -0500
1. My HEI on my truck has only two terminals on the cap (I think). There is a
3-lead harness that connects the coil to the module, but it doesn't connect to
the vehicle.  I ran a #10 wire form the ignition to the right terminal on the
HEI dist cap.  The other (left) terminal is labeled "TACH" and that's what I
connected there. On my 83 Monte Carlo I believe the ignition wire is
wire is pink.

2. The "R" terminal on the starter is for use with a non-HEI ignition.  It
connects to the junction between the ballast resistor and the ignition coil "+"
terminal.  The solenoid on the starter connects battery power to the "R"
terminal while the starter is running.  this provides higher voltage to the
ignition system during starts to help out the fact that the battery voltage is
lower while cranking the engine.

regards,
Leon