RE: [oletrucks] Trouble with MustangII/GM Brakes

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Trouble with MustangII/GM Brakes
From: "BORDER,RYAN (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <ryan_border@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 08:06:37 -0700
Thanks everybody, for the tips.  I hate to say it, but I think I'm
convincing myself that my spindles aren't going to work.

If you closely compare my spindle:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/speedway/spindle.jpg,
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/speedway/problem.jpg
To, the drop spindle at the bottom of this page:
http://www.springfieldstreetrods.com/HTML_Files/Front_Suspension/Mustang_II_
Upper_and_Lower_A-Arms.htm

I think you'll see my problem.  The caliper mounting hole (perpendicular to
the stub axle) is quite a bit more inboard on my spindle.  About a finger
width... or about how much my caliper seems to be off.

I think I see the same thing in this picture (at the top):
http://www.heidts.com/heip17.htm
The bolt that positions the caliper is quite a bit closer to the rotor.

Adding to my conviction is this page:
http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/faq/drumtodisk.html#spindles
Which talks about converting even older mustangs to disk brakes... they
suggest 70-73 spindles (what I have).  If they were the same, then why stop
at 73?...   At least this might suggest there might be a market for my "bad"
parts ;-)

I've now found several places that talk about MustangII spindles; and then
cite 74 and up in the fine print.

To address some of the specific emails on my initial querry:
William- the "other" C-clamp (part "A") makes it even worse.
Joe- the "spacer" you see (I think) is the mounting bracket.  Well,
actually, on the bottom I did have to use a spacer to get the caliper
parallel to the rotor, I suspect that with the right spindle, this won't be
needed.
Jerry- I've got the new (conversion) inner bearing race.  But I will double
check; sure would be great if this was it.  Unfortunately, if the rotor
moves inboard much, I'm going to run out of threads for the retaining nut.
Jeff- I've tried every possible way I can think of to get the caliper on the
outside of the bracket.  There's just no way to make it work (that I can
see).  Soon I will probably have the definitive answer regarding all MII
spindles being the same.

Thanks again everybody- I'll keep you posted,
Ryan.