RE: [oletrucks] Air Ride

To: "'Rick Carlisle'" <rcarlisle@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Air Ride
From: "Bill Broadway" <bcubed@vanhalen-irc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:34:57 -0500
Sound like they are talking out their behind. LOTS of new cars come with
air suspensions and they ride great, has he heard of Lincoln? Also, air
bags were designed for heavy machinery and semi trucks, these things are
super strong and reliable.

There *is* some junk coming from some companies out there, the most
recommended company is Air Ride Technologies. http://www.ridetech.com
I've heard of so many people buying cheaper inferior parts and then
having to replace it all with Air Ride parts.

As for your setup, in the back the ultimate would be replacing the leaf
spring rear with a 4-link Air Bar setup but it's not something you have
to do. If you have leaf springs out back they sell Air over Leaf
springs. You take some leaf springs out to get to the right height and
then the bracket bolts to the leaf spring and to the frame, they make
several different versions. For the front, they make springs called
Shockwaves that bolt right in place of a shock/spring setup .. the thing
that might cause you the most trouble is allowing clearance for the
circumference of the air bag.

They have a message board over at Air Ride you can post questions too,
or you could just call them up .. the guy answering most the questions
is names Tony. Hope this helps,

Bill

> I am thinking about putting an Air Ride system on my 57.  My purpose
is
> too be able to put the truck down as low as possible when it is
showing
> but raise it up when I am driving the truck.  I do expect to drive the
> truck if not daily, much more than just the weekends.
>
> I was told yesterday by the guy who has been helping me work on the
truck
> that none of the systems available are really good for daily driving.
He
> said you have to pump them up to their max capacity to be able to
drive,
> which is not good, and that the ride is very rough.  He also said I
would
> have to cut out a lot of the work we have just finished to the
suspension
> to be able to make a system work.  He said the controllers available
are
> not really that good as well.
>
> I just put in a Heidts SuperRide w/coilovers on the front with new
Eaton
> spring and air shocks on the rear.  I certainly cannot afford to waste
> much of what I just completed.
>
> Has anyone out there got a similar setup as mine and can you give me
your
> experience with conversion to an air suspension system?
>
> Thanks.
1959