Re: [oletrucks] Front end shake

To: S Culver <sculver@mcleodusa.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front end shake
From: Byron Schluter <b_schluter@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:26:30 -0800 (PST)
Smokey and gang,

It could very well be tires or king pins, but don't
rule out a drive line/u-joint problem.  I had a car
that felt as if the tires were grossly out of balance.
 After having them checked (they were perfectly
balanced) and the front end aligned I remembered an
experiment my class performed in automechanics school
where we deliberately unbalanced a driveline.  At some
speeds the car seemed ok but at other speeds it shook
so bad we thought the thing might shake apart.  I had
my frontend shop check the driveline and ujoints on my
car and found that the joints were nearly frozen up.
We installed new joints and had the driveline balanced
and the car drove like new.

One other thought, are your wheels straight?  I
recently installed new tires on our Acura and the tire
shop said we had a bent rim.  Sure enough at about
60mph the care starts to vibrate and shake, at around
70mph it's getting a little scary.  At about 80mph it
smooths out.

Let us know what you find and I hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Byron