[oletrucks] Wheels

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Wheels
From: "Rich Kinas" <rkinas@ctinet.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:04:14 -0500
Hey all,

I've been very busy on my 59 lately, finely got the frame painted and most
of the suspension back on. I've been racking my brain over my wheel
situation. Here's been my dilemma. I have 6 original 59 wheels, measuring
5.5 x 15. These wheels being 42 years old have their share of rust and
paint. The major problem with old wheels is when tires sit on them out in
the rain the bead section of the tire holds water and rust love to form
there. So even thought my wheels look very good the tire bead section is
very rough and probably would not make a very good seal with a tubeless
radial. So.... I've got $10 per wheel purchase price, the local price for
sand blasting wheels is $20 per wheel, bring the total to $30 per tire. ( I
would normally blast them myself except that it takes a very, very long time
to blast wheels to an acceptable state using a 6Hp 80 gallon compressor and
desk top blasting cabinet. So even if I had the wheels blasted the former
steel part of the wheels, which was converted to rust and removed via
blasting, is now missing, which makes one wonder what the balancing
characteristics of the wheels would look like now. So, after so much second
guessing I have decided to take another route.

A company called Wheels of Steel, www.custombuiltwheels.com, make a product
very very close to original 59 six lug wheels. I called the owner and
inquired about the product. After informing him that what I wanted was
original 59 wheels, he stated that he would go out and acquire 4 original 59
six lug wheels with clips, remove the center section and remount it within a
new wheel hub of 6 7 or 8 inches, providing me an original wheel with a
brand new tire bead section for perfect sealing with new tires. All this for
a price of $65 per wheel! finished in bare steel. I have just ordered a set
of 4 and will take some digital pictures of my original wheels and of the
new wheels when they arrive. Oh by the way I went with the 6 inch wheels so
that I would be sure of no clearance problems on the front end. My front end
is 100% original, with all new bushings of course.

Rich Kinas
59 Fleetside
Orlando, FL
           ____