Re: [oletrucks] Clunk, Clunk, Screetch

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Clunk, Clunk, Screetch
From: "Brad Rusnak" <b_rusnak@telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:19:27 -0600
I had the same problem.
I had to:
 - remove the crossmember at the transmission
 - unscrew the closed tube from the transmission
 - remove the U-joint
 - remove the transmission
 - drill and re-tap the holes for the U-joint sleeves
 - re-install parts

The reason I had to remove the transmission was because one sleeve for the
U-joint had come loose.
The bolts that held the sleeve of the U-joint had stripped.
Also, I had to retrieve the parts that had found themselves inside the
transmission case.
Removing the crossmember made it much easier to drop the transmission. The
transmission is actually quite light and can be removed by one person by
lowering it on your chest then setting it to the side.
I had re-tapped all holes for the U-joint sleeves to 1/4" nc to make it
easier for the next time this problem happens.
Also, I put some loc-tite on the bolts before insertion as well as the fold
over locking tabs that come with the u-joint kit.

Brad Rusnak
1940 Chev 1/2 Ton Deluxe Cab