[oletrucks] Kingpin...Replacement?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Kingpin...Replacement?
From: NTemple46@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:37:17 EDT
As I rebuilt the front end on my truck I paid close attention to the kingpin
and spindle tolerances as I had a slight shimmy in the steering.  The
original kingpins and bushings all seemed to be within original specs, and
upon reassembly seemed to fit really snug.  So I decided not to get the
rebuild kit.
I didn't notice any play or looseness until I put the big 20" wheels and
tires on last week.  Now, if I push hard at the top of the tire I can get
some play that appears to come from the kingpin area.  It is probably
1/8-1/4" of play at the top of the wheel.  Is this just how they are with the
big wheels, or was my idea of "ok and snug"  not good enough?  I will be
using the truck quite a bit and want to make sure the front end is tight.
Has anyone used the rebuild kits?  Can you hone the brass bushings for the
oversized pin or do you have to press them out and replace them?  Any special
tools required?  What should I look out for?
Thanks in advance
Neil Temple
46 2-ton