[oletrucks] Re: Returning list member Cutting Metal

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Returning list member Cutting Metal
From: "The Slesaks" <foghorn@ev1.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:51:51 -0600
Howdy neighbor,
For cutting metal, some folks have mentioned plasma cutters.  If you are
interested in trying one out, you can rent on locally in the Houston area.
Big Tex Welding Supplies rents them for under $50.00 for a weekend.  They
are listed in the Houston Yellow pages.  After trying one out, if you decide
you want to buy one, HTP America www.htpweld.com has a nice selection of
plasma cutters to choose from, and a 90 day no questions asked full money
refunded satisfaction guarantee.  You can use it for 90 days, and send it
back, and all your out is the shipping cost.  They also have a good
selection of welders, and their prices are reasonable.  I don't have any
direct experience with these products from them, but I did buy a spot weld
mill from them with which I am very pleased.  I have read many good reports
on their welders and Plasma cutters, and never heard any bad reports.

I personally have a Campbell Housfield MIG welder that I bought from Lowes
complete with gas conversion kit, MIG wire, helmet and role around cart, for
about $319.00.  It runs on 120V @  20 amps, and seems to do the job for me.
All I'm doing is sheet metal though, and if you want to do anything heavier
such as IFS installations, you might want to get something a little bit
larger.

Regards,
Tim Slesak
Magnolia. Texas
1941 GMC 1/2 ton

Brad wrote:
> From: Brad Baker <brad@bradbaker.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] Returning list member
>
> Just wanted to say hello to everybody.  I took about a year off of the
list
> and I've missed it.  I'm trying to get motivated again on my oletruck
> project, a '56 GMC 1/2 LB v8.
>
> Thought I'd start with a couple of newbie questions on welding.  I have
been
> looking to buy a welder for the multiple patch panels that are needed on
my
> truck.  For doing patch panels, will a fluxless gas core welder (like the
> Lincoln WeldPak 10) do the job?  I don't mind spending the money to get a
> better product (Miller 130, Lincoln SP125), but only if there is a real
> benefit.  Will the shielding gas and full MIG make a difference?
>
> Another question along the same lines.  What is the best tool for cutting
> out the rusted sections of metal?  I've seen nibblers, air nibblers,
cutoff
> wheels, dual-action shears.  I'm guessing I may need a combination of a
> couple of tools to reach all of the spots that need patch panels.
>
> Moving to front suspensions.  What products have you used and what do you
> think of them?  Fatman Fabrications, ZIGs, TCI, Jim Meyer Racing, No
Limit,