[oletrucks] Offtopic : Any compressor experts? Sears 2 hp electric has n

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Offtopic : Any compressor experts? Sears 2 hp electric has no
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:32:34 EST
    Well, I finally opened up a big enough hole in the "stuff" filling my
garage ( only took a year...) to be able to allow me to do some work in the
garage itself, and on some of my tools. I had bought a used Sears 2 hp
electric two-cylinder air compressor at an auction last year, had fired it
up, but noticed there was no line on it to block off the air, so I just let
it sit while I've been busy. I got all the fittings hooked up tonite, got an
air line installed, and fired it up once again. No pressure, and I mean I
feel NOTHING coming out the outlet from the shut-off valve. Turned the main
valve in all the way, half way, and as far out 'til it got loose, meaning it
should have been closed all the way. No air pressure, guage didn't budge.
Noticed there were no foam? air filters on top, the little intake valves were
making some noise. I cut some foam I had laying around to put over top, the
noise pretty much stopped. So, either the pistons may have holes in them, or
there's something else stopping it from building pressure. Anyone know
anything specific to check on these ? I noticed a plate on top of the
cylinders, just above the main air line into the tank. I'm thinking about
removing that to see if there's some kind of valves inside there, might be
stuck open, etc. Or the main cut-off valve isn't releasing, but I would think
the engine would lug some once it built some pressure, but it just keeps
turning over at the same rate, when I unplug it, it  stops gradually, like
there's no pressure to stop it from turning, or maybe no compression? Any way
to check " compression " on these compressor heads? I already have a very
old, very small cast-iron 1/2 hp compressor, and a 5 hp 60 gal. upright, but
this is a nice medium sized unit. Only paid $20-25 for it, I think, so I am
willing to invest some money to fix it. If anyone has any ideas or helpful
suggestions so I can look at it again tomorrow, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

 Jerry Casper
 Woodbridge, VA
 '55 TF Suburban
 '78 Gremlin GT