Re: [oletrucks] New guy. Old Truck. Long post. Massive

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] New guy. Old Truck. Long post. Massive
From: "Boteler Family" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:32:38 -0500
Hi Mark,

I can't help with your GMC (I have Chevy's) specific questions but can help
in general.  I believe the correct GVW is 19,000#, the 32,000 number should
be the GCW (Gross Combined Weight).

The shop manual you bought will be close for needed mechanical info, but
changes were made between 55 and 57.

You should plan on replacing 100% of the brake system including the lines,
the lines will rust from the inside out.  New parts are still available from
your local BIG truck parts house.  I recently did my brakes on my 2-1/2 ton
Chevy and was able to get a rebuilt Hydrovac, new wheel cylinders, had my
shoes relined, got all new return springs, new rubber hoses, had the drums
turned and I made all of the new steel lines.  She might not be pretty but
she sure can stop!

As for your tires, why don't you look for a set of 9.00 x 22.5 one piece Bud
rims.  They should have been optional on your truck and are tubeless.  They
also allow you to run Radials.  The 22.5" tires are the same height as the
20" tires so they should fit your wheel openings.  I have them on my truck
which you can see on Wayne Osborne's site www.chevytrucks.org/user/wayne/
click on "Chevy Showcase" on left side then '56 and look for my Wrecker.

The fenders are the same as the Chevy 1-1/2 & 2 ton trucks 55-2 thru 57, as
far as I know.

If after you get the shop manual you still need help with the brake bleeding
procedure let me know.

Good Luck!

Mike Boteler
'56 8400 Wrecker