[oletrucks] Re: Steering column question

To: "Mark A. Self" <mark.self@verizon.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Steering column question
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:09:52 -0800
>Hi Mark,

>     The CV joint that you mention.  Is that off your donor truck?  This CV
>joint, do you remeber what type of connection it had to the stock column?
>Or, did you use the stockl column?

I used as much as I could off the donor, including the whole column, pedal
assy, booster/mc etc. The stock (77) CV joint fits just below the outer
tubing end on a splined portion of the shaft, which has a half moon milled
out of it for the lock bolt/clamp assy to fit thru, securing it in place.

>     Do you remeber about how much you lengthened the shaft?

I just went and measured the section, which is just back from the rag
joint, and it's 5.5". Note a chunk of the original 49 shaft fit perfectly
into the 77 shaft for this purpose. I think I used about 8-9" overall, then
drilled a 1/4" hole cross wise thru each end for a steel pin, then tig
welded the pins, and ends. In screwing around with this of course the
plastic pins used to secure the double "D" portion was broken away. I used
aluminum pop rivets to secure the "D" portion, rather than welding it
solid. My thinking here being the aluminum pop rivets would break in a
collision, same as the plastic and allow the column to collapse. Needless
to say I hope no one ever has to determine if it worked.

>     Also, did you angle your steering box out at the front a bit?
Yes, it is slightly angled to make the overall path of the lower shaft from
the rag joint to the CV joint as straight as possible. I think I mentioned
the column/wheel itself is slightly angled to the left front, but so
slightly I can't notice it while driving, nor has anyone else looking in
the cab.
Let me know if this is clear, as it's sometimes hard to describe the
picture in my head on paper.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer      e-mail -->bfischer@utm.net