[oletrucks] Headliner installation

To: <old-chevy-truck@egroups.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Headliner installation
From: "Jon Kunkel" <jonkunkel@home.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:49:12 -0600
I spent this afternoon putting in my new 2 piece headliner.  I remember from
came rolled up (both pieces) which worked to my advantage of installation.

I first attached the rear section to the center floating chrome bar, out side
the truck, and crimped the bar where the old headliner had previously been
crimped to hold it in place, start with the middle and work to either side at
a time.

Then I attached the front piece by the three holes for the sunvisor bracket in
the precut hole on the drivers side.  Then I used an adjustable rod (like a
shower rod) to prop up the passenger side.

I slid the back section (already in crimped in the floating bar) onto the
front section of the floating section, then screwed in the back chrome bar, I
had to use a drill bit and nail set to make holes for the screws to fit
through.

Then I carefully trimmed the edges along the sides to fit snugly above the
welded in track above the door for the door weatherstrip.  Then along the
front edge to attach the windshield chrome trim.

Finished in about 2 hours.  No creases, tears or cursing at the dog.  I have
put these in before but always had problems.  Don't try to make it fit the
area, almost all of them will have to be trimmed, which I should have known
before but learned after doing it the wrong way before.

Yesterday I put in the door weatherstrip that goes in the track, fairly easy
also.  Just make sure you open up the track where it was previously crimped.
Spray track area with WD-40 or other lubricant.  Start with the front track,
slide it all the way to the bottom of the door opening.  Then do the back
track to the bottom of the door opening.  Then tilt in the lip of the
weatherstrip in the top track and with it tilted use a screwdriver to push the
other side of the lip into place.  I used a screen roller.  Took about 2
minutes to do the top, the hard part is the back corner as it not only bends
but is also angled.  I kept pulling the weatherstrip down the back track as I
installed the top, and trimmed as needed.  Then crimp your track to hold the
weatherstrip in place.  Use a 1" wide piece of wood and a hammer and that will
crimp the weatherstrip to the track good.  And finished.

I hope this info will help anyone that is considering doing either one of the
above.

Jon 50 3104
Chicago burbs