Re: [oletrucks] Paint info

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Paint info
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:47:46 -0800
I used all Sikkens products on my '50.  It is REALLY good stuff for how
beautiful it looks and durability/longevity.  However, two disadvantages of
Sikkens:  compared to other brands such as PPG, Spies Hecker, etc., is that
it almost takes a degree in chemistry to figure out what Sikkens hardener
goes with what product (etch primer, primer sealer, build primer, single
stage, base coat, clear each take their own hardener - at least they used
to).  I ended up with a bunch of different left-over hardeners which was a
waste of $ and a pain to properly dispose of.  I used Sikkens for about 10
years and then switched to Spies Hecker for simplicity (Spies is very easy
to use).  Second disadvantage is the Sikkens is very hard to properly lay
down.  But then again, that's probably why is looks so good.  I'm restoring
a '55 Willys army jeep right now (uh-oh - off topic!) and am going to use
PPG this time.  In all honesty, unless you're looking for that 100 point
truck, IMHO they're all about the same.  In other words, use what works for
you, and....what makes you happy!

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100

PS That Sikkens stuff is EXPENSIVE! But then again, that's probably why it
looks so good....