Re: [oletrucks] Steering box and colunm

To: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering box and colunm
From: Brad Newman <bkn6@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 08:04:55 -0500
Antonio
The slot that you refer to is where the shifter box on a column mounted
3 speed sits. If you aren't running a 3 on the tree, I think that there
is a rubber plug that fills the hole.
As for the horn wire, since your column is already out its a breeze to
replace. Buy the new one from your favorite supplier, pop the old one
out (I didn't have a special tool either; a flat head screwdriver and a
pair of vice grips worked fine), run some scrap wire through the inside
of the column from the horn wire exit hole to the top, tie the new wire
to this piece and pull it through. The cap just snaps in and you're
done.
I cant say whether or not you should rebuild your steering box, but I
will tell you that I paid the $60+ dollars for the rebuild kit and it
was a first class pain in the rear. Look in the shop manual at how to
tighten (or adjust) the steering. Its easy to do, and judging by others
that I have talked to, this fixes a lot of loose steering problems
without taking everything apart. Your call.
Hope this helps
Brad Newman
49 3100 Deluxe
24 1 ton