Re: [oletrucks] 1952 GMC Loadmaster

To: "Adam Brandon Whitson" <ABWDVM@rocketmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1952 GMC Loadmaster
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 19:10:54 -0500
Adam,
It might have, GM offered Two peice and three piece rims. The two piece are
the "suicide rims".

I'm assuming that it has 10 lug wheels?

The way to tell the difference is to look at the outside rim of the front
wheel (can't see it on the back with duals). The three piece rims should
have a separate solid rim that touches the tire, and a split lock ring
between the outer rim and the wheel. Rim, lock ring, and wheel make three
pieces.

The two piece rim will have a solid rim that is part of the wheel. The wheel
actually separates just about in the center. These are also known as "center
locks".

An experienced truck tire shop will know the difference by looking.

Late model Chevy 3500HD trucks use 10 lug duals with (I think) 19.5" tires.
The lug pattern is the same as the earlier 1-1/2 and 2 ton  wheels.

If you have a larger truck (i.e. 520, 640, 950) It will either have "motor"
or "budd" or "dayton" wheels. These were not made in the "suicide" version,
and are still in use today. My 52 640 has motor wheels with 9.00R20 tires.

If you are still not sure you can describe what you have and we'll see if we
can do better.

Also look at the data plate on the inside of the glove box door (if it has
one). It will list the type of wheels that it has.

John
'49 Chevy 3800 Panel
'52 GMC 640 Firetruck